Sunday 22 May 2016

Why Girl Squads are Important



Empowered women, empower women.

There has been a lot of media speculation the past year about ‘Girls Squads’ and whether they empower women or just exclude them. Obviously I know everyone has different opinions and experiences about this subject but I wanted to discuss what I think, and how that has changed since going to university.

I saw a quote the other day that said ‘Girls compete with each other, Women empower each other’ and it got me thinking about my experience with groups of girls and how in the past two years, I have come to appreciate the strong independent women I surround myself with.

Although I’ve loved finding a new group of friends this year I want to take a moment and appreciate my old friends. I remember back when I was 15 (I don’t understand how that is four years ago) I wanted to be in a friendship group with guys, I created a perfect picture in my head and at that time, I don’t think I appreciated my group of girls as much as I should have. However I’ve now come to realise how amazing that group of girls are. We spent seven years together and made so many memories that it’s hard to remember all of them. The great thing is that although we don’t see each other everyday like we used to, we know we are always there for each other. Our teenage years are some of our hardest but I did it with this great group of girls by my side. Yeah, we went through a lot of stupid little fights, but we came out the other side. I am so excited to go on holiday with them all for a week at the end of June, I can’t wait to make new memories and catch up on the past year.


Sports – Dancing and Cheerleading has always played a huge part in my life, and most of the time it was the people surrounding me that made it so great. My Cheer team this year, Destiny, was a huge part of making me realise how strong women can be. I was in an all-girl team, meaning we didn’t have the natural strength that men normally bring to cheer, it meant we had to work out butts off to score high. We fought hard for our right to be on the mat, we overcame obstacles, we powered through pain and but we became stronger because of it. We lifted each other up, mentally and physically, and we rocked the floor. When I danced we would also normally be just girls (sometimes with one or two guys) and we could create something beautiful, something so serene and gentle. I spent years dancing next to my best friends and once again, although I don't see or speak to them everyday they still inspire me in many ways. Both Cheerleading and Dancing taught me strength in different ways, and its the fact that when you perform, your surrounded by a group of girls who you know are going to catch you if you fall, which makes it great.

Going to university this year taught me a lot of things and the ‘Cheer Senoritas’ were a huge part of that. Now, I’m still not 100% sure why we call ourselves that, it’s just the name of our group message that has stuck. They taught me to be comfortable in my own skin. They taught me that you don’t have to wear a full face of make-up every time you go out. They taught me that it’s okay to be fully interested and passionate in what you are studying. They taught me it’s okay to have strong views or opinions. They taught me that it is okay for you to do what you need to do. We are all different, none of us have the exact same personality, but that is what makes a group special. We appreciate one another and lift up each other, we boost each others confidence when we need it most, but are also there to comfort each other through the hard and stressful moments.
We all accept each other for who we are and somehow we all just fit together like pieces in a puzzle. I am eternally grateful to find these girls this year, and I know, whatever next year throws at us that we will all still be there for each other.

  
I know this blog post is a bit random, and technically is just me talking about how much I love my friends, but I wanted to highlight that ‘Girl Squads’ are good. Yes, people can be bitchy but, that's just a fact of life. I wanted to highlight the positive aspects of them and take a second to appreciate these women.  

As a group of girls or women we have the power to support someone. We can show them that we are always there for them no matter what. We can believe in them to chase their dreams. We can be inspired and motivated by their achievements. We can boost someones confidence with just one single complement. A single person has the ability to comfort someone when they are crying, but a group gives that person someone to lean on at all hours. Be that person, be in that group of inspiring women and be that inspiring woman. Groups of women or girls shouldn't be intimidating or scary, they should be full of laughter and smiles that radiate friendliness and inclusiveness. I've learnt a lot the past two years, but the most valuable thing I've learnt is how important it is to have a group of friends who you can lean on!

Hope this hasn't been too much of a ramble! And you all have a good start to the week, Christina x






SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© StyleStorey

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig